1. Always drink your water. Don’t wait until you feel ‘thirsty’. By drinking water throughout the day, your body will feel more full and will not crave unhealthy foods as quickly. Hydr-8 mugs can help by reminding you to drink your water.
2. Stop counting calories. Eat foods that nourish your body. A meal of fat-free, sugar-free, refined processed foods is also nutrient-free and won’t satisfy you for long. Nutrient-dense whole foods like vegetables, lean meats, whole grains, and healthy fat will help your body will come to its natural healthy weight.
3. Plan your meals ahead. By planning and packing healthy food at times when you are not hungry, you will make better choices.
4. Replace diet soda with unsweetened beverages. Diet drinks keep your sweet tooth craving sweets. Instead, drink water with a slice of lemon or lime in your Hydr-8 drink mug. The insulated mug helps to keep the water cold throughout the day.
5. Use small plates when you eat. Fill 1/2 your plate with low or non-starchy veggies. Fill 1/4, with a whole grain. Fill the last 1/4 with protein like lean cuts of meat, tofu or eggs.
6. Concentrate on eating 5 vegetables per day. Sometimes, when we focus on what we should be eating, it is easier to forget about all of the things we should not be eating.
7. Think of the constant change your body is going though. Remind yourself, “My body is losing weight right now” every moment that you are making healthy choices and choosing not to overeat. When you are faced with an unhealthy choice, you have to decide whether you want to halt the progress you are currently making.
8. Enjoy less healthy foods in small portions only occasionally. Some people like to give themselves a free meal or a free day each week. Not letting yourself eat something you love may make you feel deprived and frustrated and undermine your efforts to eat well.
9. When eating out ask your server for healthy menu options. There are almost always healthy choices you can make.
10. Don’t buy the junk food. . . even if it’s on sale. Don’t pretend it’s for the kids. (Kids are better served by learning healthy habits as well). Stock your fridge with healthy foods and you will create a healthy, successful environment.
11. When you start to crave something unhealthy, view your motivational photos, set a 20 minute timer, and remind yourself why you are making healthy choices. Most of the time, the craving will go away before the 20 minutes are up.
12. Talk positively to yourself. Don’t throw an entire day out because of one bad choice. Each bite counts – for good or for bad – no matter what you had earlier in the day.